5 November 2014

Being a Christian


I came across an article recently titled 'Being A Christian Doesn't Always Look Like You Think It Should', written by Preston Sprinkle. A friend shared it on Facebook and it caught my attention. I did a quick read on it, and I thought HEY, I'd really like to have a say in it too.

Well, I am a Christian. I've always been a Christian. I was born a Christian, taught to be one and brought up to "act" like one. I go to church every Sunday. I sort of read the Bible, and yes, I said sort of. I enjoy praise and worship sessions a lot, though I don't really pay any attention on what is being preached, unless it's about things I can relate to. And I pray. Did I also mention that I've already been baptised?

I grew up learning stuffs like, be kind to your neighbour, do not lie, do not steal, do not cheat, do not kill, do not commit adultery (even though I had no idea what adultery meant until I was old enough to know what sex was), no sex before marriage, no LGBT stuffs and basically everything a Christian would/should know from The Ten Commandments, the two Greatest Commandment and the Holy Bible.

However, as I grew older I had "questions". Are Christians allowed to smoke? Because the Bible said 'the body is a temple of the Holy Spirit' and I was aware that no harm should be done to our bodies. The biggest question I had was when I went for a Hillsong concert, and I saw the lead singer, he had a tattoo on his right arm. I was like, REALLY? I started asking more and more questions. Note that I had three piercings on my left ear, got my belly pierced and I was very much into tattoos, but I was taught that tattoos are a big no-no. So imagine my reaction when I saw the lead singer with a dragon tattoo. I had so many questions, nobody could answer. All I got was, tattoos are really bad.

I even got lectured by this dude in church, who had a tattoo on the back of his neck, after silly me posted a Facebook status saying I wanted to get a tattoo like right now. He told me how Christianity changed him, that getting a tattoo was no good, I'd regret it, disobey God and his plans to laser it off to show God he loves Him. Of course, at that time, I was still just a kid and I was like k whatever dude. I let that go, I still had so many questions to ask, but I never got THE right answer. All I got was the same that's not right; don't; Christians shouldn't do that.

So I grew up with my own set of rules. If you want to be treated right, treat people the same way you want them to treat you. Appreciate what you have. Gays? Lesbians? Bisexuals? Who cares? They are still people, they shouldn't be treated differently. Sex before marriage? Honestly, that is all up to you, how you see things, but of course it's better to save it for "the one". Well, I can't say much. Because I believe in soul mates and true love. Lies, are lies. White lies are lies. Steal, cheat, kill and adultery? If you know what is right, is right and what is wrong, is wrong. It's all up to you to make a decision based on all that. I won't judge, I'm not here to judge, but remember.............. God will.

Tattoos? Why not? Piercings does the same thing as tattoos does to your body. If we weren't allowed to go for tattoos, then why are we allowed to pierce our ears? If we, as Christians shouldn't smoke, then why drink? Drink, but don't get drunk is still drinking. I'd always ask these questions, especially about tattoos vs piercings. I've asked my mother before, she herself couldn't give me an answer to that. LULZ.

My point is: doing these things doesn't or SHOULDN'T make you any less of a Christian. Unless of course, you're a fake. Praise God, praise God, act all innocent and holy, but outside the church, you're something else. I mean, as long as you don't fake it. I've seen a lot of fakers, and I know a lot of fakers. These fakers are the ones that make me and everyone else who isn't a Christian, question Christianity. But I believe in God, I believe in Jesus. I believe in the Holy Spirit. I want to be good to others too. I want to make the world a better place. I want to give people hope. I want my loved ones to be saved by the grace of God. So shouldn't just all of these matter, as a Christian? Um yes.

p/s: Mum, if you're reading this, I'm pretty sure you'll be upset and you'll smack me with a Bible, and drown me with Holy water. You'll probably pray for my salvation and ask the pastors (I said pastors) to talk to me. Sorry, and I love you <3

No comments:

Post a Comment